Instances of Historical Architecture In Ellenville

Ellenville is a small town mid-way between Albany and New York City that pre-dates the America’s Revolutionary War.

Records indicate Alpheus Fairchild, for whom the village was originally named, constructed the first building in 1798. However, town officials note at least three farms – Bodley, Bevier and Sax – had improvements well before the war. Fairchild’s building was located on the site of the George and John R. Hunt Memorial Building, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Indeed, Ellenville’s downtown district as a whole is on the National Register. The village was a commercial and industrial center for Ulster County in the early 19th century. Most buildings in the historic center date back to the early 1820s when construction of the Delaware and Hudson Canal began. When the district went on the register in 2012, the number of historic places in Ellenville went from three to 55. The initial three were the Hunt building, the post office and D&H Canal.

The historic district encompasses Liberty, Main, Market, Center and Canal streets, where old homes and commercial buildings can be seen today. The downtown area was pretty much developed by 1858, according to local records.

Author: admin Filled under: Uncategorized